It is recommended that crystals are cleared and charged periodically.
Once you have picked a crystal, it’s important to cleanse it of any negative energy it may have picked up from those who handled it before you.
The difference between cleansing and charging your Crystals
There is an important distinction to make between cleansing your crystal and charging it.
Crystals can give us positive energies, but they can absorb our negative energies. Before you charge a crystal, you first need to cleanse it of the negative energy it has absorbed. Once cleansed you can then work on recharging your crystals.
Below are just some of the ways to Clear your crystals. Know that one method is not always right for everyone, try one and see how you feel and connect with your crystal. Did it work? If not try another method. You will find what works best for you.
6 Ways to Clear or cleanse your crystals
- Smudging method: Passing your crystal through the smoke with the mindful intention to cleanse it. Use sage, Palo Santo sacred wood, incense, sweet grass. or whatever sacred plant you connect to This is great for crystals that do not do well with water such as Opal, Pyrite and Selenite.
- Indirect water method: Fill a large bowl with a few pinches of Himalayan salt. Place a smaller empty bowl inside the large bowl, letting the water surround it but not overflow into it. Place your crystals inside the small empty bowl and leave it there for a few hours or overnight. It will still absorb the vibration of the water + salt and clear it without damaging your crystals.
- Running water method: Using a stream or river, can be a great way to cleanse your crystal. Hold your crystal under running water for a few minutes.
- Saltwater method: From the sea or ocean can also work well. Immerse and bathe your crystal in the water for a few minutes. If you don’t live near the sea or ocean, you can try using a homemade Himalayan salt solution.
- Be aware that some crystals cannot go in water This method isn’t an option for soft, or water-soluble crystals such as selenite so make sure you research your crystal to make sure it’s safe to put underwater. Quartz, agate, amethyst are examples of crystals that can be used safely underwater. If you’re unsure just use another method to be on the safe side.
Singing bowl method: Using sound that vibrates at a higher frequency than your crystal is also an option. Chime a singing bowl, a tuning fork or bells near the crystal you want to cleanse.
CHARGING YOUR CRYSTALS
Charging re-charges the crystal with its healing properties after it's been cleansed.
Methods for charging your crystal
Moon Light: Bathe your crystal in the light of the full moon. Leave your crystals in a window or outside to bathe under the moon overnight. This can be particularly powerful during the Full Moon.
Some believe moonlight is not strong enough for charging crystals, but we know some of us may have a strong connection to this beautiful force.
Crystal clusters: Some powerful crystals don’t need cleansing or charging nearly as much and can help to charge other crystals! Example selenite around your crystals can help to recharge them. Another way is placing crystals on a large quartz cluster or generator (single large quartz crystal.) is also a great way to charge your crystals.
Citrine in particular is excellent for cleansing the other crystals in your collection. It is one of only two crystals that is automatically self-cleansing, and will cleanse other crystals. The other is Kyanite, which is also extremely helpful in chakra alignment.
Methods that cleanse and charge, a two for one !
Here are a couple of methods that can both cleanse and recharge your crystals.
SUNLIGHT: The sun’s light is so incredibly strong and powerful that it can both cleanse and recharge your crystals.
Place your piece under the rays of the sun for 30 minutes. This is best done in the morning. Do not leave it for longer, as it can damage sensitive crystals. Be aware that some crystals can fade in color and lose their vibrancy.
Earth: This process takes a little longer. Bury your crystals in the earth for a few days. It needs to be in the earth, not just in some soil in a plant pot! As we all know first-hand, mother earth is wonderful at absorbing and transforming energies. Some people make a ritual of burying their crystal under a full moon, to take advantage of the magnetic forces of the moon in combination with the earth.
OTHER METHODS: Other methods include using music, bells or visualization, among others. If you feel more drawn to these methods, you can find a lot of information on these methods on Google.
Now that your crystals are cleansed and charged the next step is programming them and setting an intention.
Next week we will continue with this topic.